Virat Kohli’s stellar century against Pakistan in the Asia Cup 2023 was a masterclass, breaking records as he became the fastest to 13,000 ODI runs and secured India’s highest partnership against Pakistan.
In a performance reminiscent of his cricketing prowess, Virat Kohli, the Indian cricket captain, once again left the cricketing world in awe with an outstanding century in the Super Four Asia Cup 2023 clash against arch-rivals Pakistan. This century was not just remarkable for its quality but also for the records it shattered.
Kohli, who initially seemed steady, went from 50 off 55 balls to an unbeaten 122 in just 94 balls, smashing a breathtaking 72 runs off his last 39 deliveries. Alongside KL Rahul, Kohli displayed top-notch form as the duo dominated Pakistan’s bowling attack, propelling India to a formidable total in a rain-interrupted match.
Here are some of the astonishing milestones and records achieved by Virat Kohli during his 47th One Day International (ODI) century:
1. The Colombo Love Affair:
- Kohli’s affinity for the R Premadasa stadium in Colombo is unparalleled. He averages a staggering 128.20 at this venue in ODIs.
- With this century, Kohli has achieved four successive hundreds at the Colombo stadium in ODIs, having also scored centuries in 2012 and twice in 2017 against Sri Lanka.
- Kohli’s average of 128.20 at this venue is the highest by any batter after nine or more innings at a single venue in ODI history.
2. Fastest to 13,000 ODI Runs:
- Kohli became the fastest cricketer to reach 13,000 runs in ODIs, achieving this milestone in just 267 innings.
- This remarkable feat puts him well ahead of cricketing legends like Sachin Tendulkar, Ricky Ponting, Mahela Jayawardene, and Sanath Jayasuriya, who all took over 300 innings to cross this milestone.
- Kohli’s ODI batting average stands at an impressive 57.62, the second-best for any player with more than 100 innings, trailing only Babar Azam.
3. Highest Partnership for India vs. Pakistan in ODIs:
- Kohli played a pivotal role in a record-breaking partnership of 233 runs with KL Rahul, remaining unbeaten throughout.
- This partnership became the highest for India against Pakistan in ODIs, surpassing the 231-run partnership between Navjot Singh Sidhu and Sachin Tendulkar in 1996.
- It is also India’s second-highest partnership for the third wicket in ODIs, following the 237* run stand between Rahul Dravid and Tendulkar against Kenya in the 1999 Cricket World Cup.
- This partnership was formed at a remarkable run rate of 7.24 runs per over and stands as the third-quickest double-century partnership against Pakistan in ODIs.
4. Joint-Highest Total Against Pakistan:
- Bolstered by centuries from both Kohli and Rahul, India amassed a total of 356 runs, equalling their joint-highest total against Pakistan in ODIs, previously achieved in 2005 at Vizag.
- This also ranks as the ninth-highest total against Pakistan in men’s ODIs, and remarkably, the highest total ever scored against Pakistan at a neutral venue in ODIs.
5. Kohli’s Asia Cup Record:
- In 14 Asia Cup ODI matches, Virat Kohli boasts a remarkable average of 67.18, featuring four centuries and striking at a rate of over 100.
- His tally of four centuries is the second-highest in Asia Cup history, trailing only Kumar Jayasuriya (6 centuries), and he has a chance to equal this record during the current tournament.
- Kohli’s magnificent 183 against Pakistan in the 2012 edition of the tournament still stands as the highest individual score in the history of the Asia Cup.
Virat Kohli’s latest century not only secured India’s position in the Asia Cup but also reaffirmed his status as one of cricket’s all-time greats. His consistency, remarkable records, and unwavering dedication continue to inspire cricket fans worldwide.